Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

My 24' Denali 1998 was partially submerged yesterday in salt

Customer Question

My 24' Denali 1998 was partially submerged yesterday in salt water. We believe the water did not enter the engine. Water came up just shy of the oil dip stick.
The starter, alternator and all other motors and wiring were submerged for less than I hour.
All affected motors - starter alternator, etc. will of course be replaced. To prevent future problems what all should be addressed regarding all of the submerged wiring and any other components to make the boat totally dependable in future years.
can you give an estimate of how many hours labor will be involved to make the necessary replacements and repairs.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hi Frank, my name is***** the engine harness is going to need to be replaced. You don't have to replace it right now, but eventually electrical gremlins are going to start popping up. You can either deal with those gremlins one at a time as they come up, or replace the harness so that you don't end up stranded someplace with an engine that will not start. That being said, which engine do you have in the boat? If Volvo, can I get the model number, if Mercruiser, can I get the serial number. Once I know which engine you have I can give you a better idea as to what the parts are going to cost.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Are you still with me Frank?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
It looks like you are reading my responses and logging off. If you are trying to reply back make sure you are logged into the website, and typing directly into the chat box on the website. Do not hit reply to any emails the system sends you, I will not get those.