Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I left it at the dock in the water and it got a ton of water

Customer Question

I left it at the dock in the water and it got a ton of water in it. It is a 2000 LRV I and bringing back to life. put a new motor in it this year just got it broke in. running great till I found the water
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: It would not start I found water in the cylinders that blew out when I pulled the plugs and cranked it over.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 6 months ago.
Getting water onto the cylinders would be an indication of either a leaking water jacket on the engine, back flow from the exhaust, or when the hull filled up, it came from the gas tank. Once you can get the engine running after changing all oils, and making sure that the fuel is clear Back the ski onto the water and then start it up. Inspect the exhaust boots and the bilge plugs area to make sure that you are not taking on water there. If it is not either of these two, You will need to do a leakdown test on the engine to see if there is an issue with the cylinders.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
So it is oil mix not injected. What other oil?
Should I dump the whole tank of gas 25 gallons?
Expert:  Charles replied 6 months ago.
Check the fuel in the tank for water. Remove the line from the pump or the carbs and drain it into a jar. Then let it sit for a bit. Cehck that there are not two layers in it. If there are, that is water. If not, check the other items.