Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I have a 2007 Mercury 9.9 pro kicker 4 stroke. It will not

Customer Question

I have a 2007 Mercury 9.9 pro kicker 4 stroke. It will not start unless I unplug the brown wire that goes to the CU.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: What do you need to know?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: NO, just need to know why this brown wire will not let my engine run. Once I plug it back in the motor stops.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 7 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** will assist you.What is this brown wire that you are disconnecting terminated to? There are a few of them of the engine.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Looks like it goes to the CU.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The motor started the other day, ran for about 15 seconds and then just shut off. Would not restart. Checked the coil, the crank sensor, all check good. Disconnected this wire and it started right up. Plug it back in and the motor shuts off. I thought it might be the kill switch so I bypassed it, no change.
Expert:  Charles replied 7 months ago.
Kill switch will be black/yellow. What are you referring to as the CU?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Sorry the CD unit. I am guessing that is basically the control unit.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It is located just below the coil pack.
Expert:  Charles replied 7 months ago.
Do you have the serial number handy? I would like to get the correct diagrams pulled up.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
OR232410
Expert:  Charles replied 7 months ago.
got it thanks.When that wire is unplugged, and you start the engine, does the light on the front for the oil pressure still function?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes
Expert:  Charles replied 7 months ago.
You stated that you disconnected it. What was the color of the wire on the other plug? Where there any strips on either wire?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
All brown from what I saw. Goes from the CD, to a barrel connector under the plastic cover. Unable to determine where it goes from there.
Expert:  Charles replied 7 months ago.
Ok the only all brown that I see on the diagram that I have pulled up goes to the charge coil. Does the engine sound like it is still running on both cylinders when you unplug the brown?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes runs perfectly.
Expert:  Charles replied 7 months ago.
Do you have a multimeter to do some testing?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes but at work can't do anything till about 5 pm Pacific time.
Expert:  Charles replied 7 months ago.
Thats fine. That will be 7 my time and I will be at baseball practice. I will be done around 8-830 my time and log back on then.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I figured it out. Shorted wire in the harness.
Expert:  Charles replied 7 months ago.
that brown wire?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes. Ran a new wire and now it works.
Expert:  Charles replied 7 months ago.
What did it short against and where did it wind up going to?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Must have been rubbing on the metal bracket. Goes to the stop/kill switch in the ignition and kill switch with the lanyard.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It is a brown wire until it goes to a plug, then it's brown with a blue strip I believe.
Expert:  Charles replied 7 months ago.
I see. Good to hear that it is running again.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I bet not as much as I am. I leave Thursday for a 4 day fishing trip.
Expert:  Charles replied 7 months ago.
I think I would take a bit of wire and some connectors with me as well.