Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

About the fuel system on my 100 hp 1979 evinrude lower cyl

Customer Question

about the fuel system on my 100 hp 1979 evinrude lower cyl on right side washing out runs on 3 the cyl does have 135 lbs of comp. and spark
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is***** will assist you. Do you have the full model number for the engine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Do you have the model number handy?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes 100999s
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i pulled the carb and the reeds are intact
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Ok is this the lower right, when you are standing in the boat, or standing behind the engine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
behind the engine i think that cyl is the one that draws the fuel
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
1 it the upper right, 2 upper left, 3 lower right, 4, lower left. This is from behind the engine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no 3 gets soaked with gas the diafram in the fuel pump is soft but no holes
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
How did you test it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just looked to see if the reeds were in place and they were my friend said that if the dia had a hole in it it would flood that cly the float was not stuck in the carb it was pretty clean
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
135 on all four cyls new plugs tried a new coil on no.3 pull wires wile running no change on 3
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Ok, there are just two bolts that hold the fuel pump on, very simple to eliminate it as the cause. Part 7 in the diagram. Pull these two, then move the pump away from the block. Squeeze the primer bulb. If you get any fuel at all out of the back of the pump, rebulid, or replace it. http://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/EVINRUDE/1979/100999S/FUEL%20PUMP/parts.html
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
all i can say is tomorrow i will get a fuel pump and put it on i did not try what yo said what would be second
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
The carb flooding. You can see it if you run the engine with the air box off and just let the engine idle on a hose.