Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

I have a 1979 mercury outboard that has been sitting in my

Customer Question

I have a 1979 mercury outboard that has been sitting in my garage for 20 years. Back when I used it a lot it was a great motor with 0 mechanical problems. What do I need to do to get it running again?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 7 months ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** to do is a spark test to be sure you have spark. Look at all the wiring under the flywheel look for rotten insulation on any of the wires if you see insulation falling off wires replace it.The spark must jump a &/16" gap on a spark gap tester. I would do a compression test just to be sure it is good.If wiring is good and you have good spark start with cleaning the entire fuel system. Replace all the gaskets in the fuel pump and the carburetors. If any of the fuel line is hard replace. Remove the lower unit and replace the water pump impeller and change the gear lube. Post back with questions and concerns. If you have any issue you are concerned with post back here with findings and we can continue.Follow up questions on this subject do not cost extra even after you have positively rated my service.