Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

Mercury Quicksilver (1996) 3000 control box? -- Intermittent

Customer Question

Mercury Quicksilver (1996) 3000 control box? -- Intermittent starting -- for a while, needed to jiggle control box handle to get engine to engage. Finally, it doesn't work at all -- solenoid clicks, but can't get engine/flywheel to move/turnover. I had a guy put in new control cables before leaving on a trip to Powell last week. When I looked in the back of the control box, it looked like he slathered everything in grease. I'm starting to wonder if the contacts on the switch are covered too. Unfortunately, I don't even know what the neutral safety switch looks like or where it might be found.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: Have not yet checked voltage on each side of the solenoid. I've tightened all the battery cables, and tried different battery. No significant oxidation was on the terminals and cables.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 5 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** will assist you.What is the engine that you are working on?Do you have a multimeter?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Merc Force 50ELPT. 1996I just bought a multimeter
Expert:  Charles replied 5 months ago.
Ok, great. Are you near the engine now?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Expert:  Charles replied 5 months ago.
Will you be there soon? Or do you wish for me to write it out?