Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

What type of info does the computer store on a 90 hp Yamaha

Customer Question

What type of info does the computer store on a 90 hp Yamaha outboard? I went to pick up a new boat and motor yesterday and it was discovered my boat was taken from the marina after hours by someone who owed the exact same boat. The boats were parked next to each other and were identical except for the motors.
The hour meter has less that an hour on it and that includes the test ride the service dept at the marina took. On the way to where the boat was supposed to be we were told about the break in period, no driving over half throttle, no towing, etc. I understand the boat is covered under warranty but am concerned about any future issues that may arise.
I am trying not to be anal about this, accidents happen, but I don't want to suffer in the future. Your thoughts?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 6 months ago.
Hello Mike, my name is***** will assist you.The ECU on the engine will store any runtime that the engine may have, a history of any faults, a data logger from of and when any faults occurred and allow a tech to watch real time data for a running engine. Did the shop scan the engine to see how many hours are really on it now. A boat hour meter can easily be disabled for a joy ride and then hooked back up.