Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

I have a 2002 bayliner capri. The ignition panel is dead. I

Customer Question

I have a 2002 bayliner capri. The ignition panel is dead. I have 12v at #6pin on wire harness on enine side. If I measure voltage at breaker, it's 12v when harness is unplugged. When I plug harness together, volage at breaker drops to zero. Is this normal?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: Worked fine last summer....
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 9 months ago.
Hello. My name is***** the power supply at the battery you have a red #10 gauge wire that supplies power to the panel. Check the connections on the battery. Then check that the black # ***** gauge wire on the battery is connected and the connection is clean. POst back with questions and findings.
Expert:  Tan replied 9 months ago.
Could I get the boat model number please?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It's a 02 215 capri
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Is it normal for the voltage to drop to 0 after I plug the harness back in? This seems odd to me.
Expert:  Tan replied 9 months ago.
No that is the reason I know you have a bad connection. You are loosing voltage to a bad connection or loose wire. It can be on the negative or positive side of the panel. Have you checked and cleaned all the battery cable connections?
Expert:  Tan replied 9 months ago.
What is the full model number 2150 or 2152?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
2152 I think.. not positive though. I have checked the battery terminals. I have not gone to the other end of the ground that mounts on to the engine. All the other connections I can find are okay. I will clean the negative ground terminals and see if that makes a difference. It just seems strange to me that I have 12 volts on the number 6 pin in the wiring harness plug comma but when I plug the plug together there's no power to the breaker or the solenoid. Does that harness fail sometimes?
Expert:  Tan replied 9 months ago.
This is voltage loss due to bad wiring, bad connections or corrode loose connections. Plugs fail all the time as they are not positive connections they rely on friction to hold them together. This can very well be the problem. The pins become corroded and don't make good contact. The reason they use plugs are for assembly purposes at the factory. Cut the plug out and use crimp connectors. This is more positive connection. Be sure all the negative wires are connected on the battery. Some times one gets dropped and falls down by the battery. The grounds are the most neglected connections in the entire electrical system. Every body looks at the positive.The negatives are the most common for causing weird voltage occurrences. Post back with questions and findings.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It will be tomorrow before I can look again. I will clean ground connections, have had intermittent voltage fluctuations as well. Also my tramp gauge goes to the point my got alarm goes off sometimes when true running lights are on. This all would indicate lousy ground no?
Expert:  Tan replied 9 months ago.
All of those weird things are ground related. Take as much time as you need I will be available all week.