Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

When changing a 90 HP johnson motor, do you change the controls

Customer Question

When changing a 90 HP johnson motor, do you change the controls also and which end do you disconnect to change the motor? the motor end or the control end?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 7 months ago.
Hello Richard. My name is ***** ***** the engine end. Just locate the larger round red plug pull plug apart. Then disconnect the battery cables from the engine and start solenoid. Disconnect throttle and shift cables at the engine.What exactly are you going to do replace the 90 with another engine Johnson or other?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am replacing one 90 hp with another 90 hp the new one is a couple of years newer
Expert:  Tan replied 7 months ago.
Ok then the info applies. What year is the newer engine? These controls you have now will work up to 1995 engine model year. If the engine is newer than 95 then you will have to replace the controls.