Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a mercruiser(###) ###-#### ***** came out of the ocean because

Customer Question

I have a mercruiser(###) ###-#### ***** came out of the ocean because loss of power. The boat ran great until about one mile out, than I had to pull down the rpm's to keep it running. After bout a minute, I throttled back up with some more rpm's, but no power. I changed all filters last week because of this problem. I just ran the motor under no load and it ran great. But I know the problem is still there
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 7 months ago.
Hello Mike. My name is ***** ***** changed the filters did you dump the contenets of the filters into a clear container and check for contamination? Have you tried running the engine off a different fuel source other than the boat fuel tank? It is very possible you have contamination in the fuel tank causing a fuel restriction. We can do a fuel vacuum test to verify the fuel tank in the boat is or isn't the problem.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
thanks, ***** ***** thinking of the fuel pump, but I will check the tank
Expert:  Tan replied 7 months ago.
Fuel pump won't come and go as an issue it is either pumping or not. A fuel restriction will give the symptoms of a fuel pump failing. Run the engine on a different fuel tank see how it runs. If it runs better then you have a restriction in the boat side fuel system.There is a test we can perform on the boat side fuel system if you are interested. This requires a vacuum gauge a brass tee and some fuel line.