Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.

Have a 1996 Johnson 115 hp motor. After setting

Customer Question

have a 1996 Johnson 115 hp motor. After setting for six months had trouble starting. Applied carb cleaner to carbs as shown on u-tube. finally started. Ran somewhat rough on Idle but pretty smooth when accelerated. After setting for two days , tried to start it again with difficulty. Finally started after chocking considerably. From an idle it started racing and could not shut it down with the ignition switch. I shut the battery switch off and it finally stopped. What do you think is the problem and should I try starting it again?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.
Hello. My name is***** the carbs the way they show on YouTube isn't the proper way to do the carbs. You can burn your engine up doing this procedure melting a piston.The carbs have to be removed, disassembled, cleaned and carb kits installed. What happens when engine sit this long the volatile part of the fuel evaporates leaving a gummy residue in the carbs. Then you go to use the engine for the first time putting new fuel in the dirty carbs. The new fuel starts to disolve some of the old residue breaking it up in to small pieces clogging all the ports and jets in the carb causing the issue you atre having now. The high speed jets are in the very bottom of the carburetor and the spray carb cleaner never gets to these jets. So you must do the procedure outlined at the start of this reply. Post back with questions.