Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have a 2005 wake and I get a strong smell of raw fuel from

Customer Question

I have a 2005 wake and I get a strong smell of raw fuel from the engine compartment, visually I can't find any gas leak. Need help to solve this problem!
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? If you put the boat on a trailer, tilt it up, and pull the drain plug, are you getting any raw fuel out of the back?What kinds of questions did you have for me?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No fuel in hull of boat, smell appears when seat is on and garage is warm. Is it possible that a vent for the tank is stuck open?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If garage is cool and seat is removed the smell goes away.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
The fuel tanks are vented to open atmosphere. It is not something that is stuck, it is simply open all of the time. In a closed area, over time, you would definitely smell fuel coming form the vent line. Does that make sense?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Is this some sort of new problem or behavior for the boat? Or did you just buy it and this is the way it is?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Bought the boat last fall and guy I bought it from had seat off when I looked at it, I am wondering if that's why he sold?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Marine fuel tanks are vented to atmosphere so what you are smelling is normal. The EPA didn't require filters on boat vent lines until 2014. But before that, they were all open to atmosphere. If the smell bothers you, you can install a carbon filter on the vent line and that will take care of any odors. Click this link below, this is an example of the product you would need. http://www.attwoodmarine.com/store/product/integrated-fuel/carbon-canisters That filter will take care of the fuel odors for you. Did you have any other questions on the issue?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where is the vent located?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
I don't know, I don't know what kind of boat you have. You never mentioned the make of the boat.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Seadoo
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
I thought this was a boat, not a jet ski. I don't work on jet skis. I will opt out and leave the question open to the community.