Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

I have a 1999-ish Westerbeke 42B on my boat - there

Customer Question

Hello - I have a 1999-ish Westerbeke 42B on my boat - there is a drip when engine is running where the sea water pump attaches to the engine block - the marina mechanic says that is a warning symptom that the sea water pump seals are failing - the pump part # ***** my manual is 033636 (apparently priced around $270) and has been replaced by part # ***** (price over $600) - my boat has always operated in Lake Superior (fresh water) - my questions: 1) can the seals simply be replaced? 2) if not, am I stuck buying a $600 part? 3) are there maybe any of the older part # ***** pumps out there anywhere? 4) is replacing the pump a simple straight-forward task or are there "trick" involved? Thank you. My email address is***@******.***
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 7 months ago.
Hello. My name is***** seals can be replaced you just have to match them up. The seals you need are # ***** and lip seal # ***** is a link to the breakdown of your pump.http://www.marinedieseldirect.com/catalogs/catalog_group.php?owner=mdd&page_ident=36776-0&model=35B Three / 38B Four / 42B Four / 10 BTD / 7.5 BTD / 11 BTD / 8.3 BTD / 12.5 BTDA / 9.4 BTDA&manufacturer=Westerbeke&title=Sea Water Pump - Johnson - Replacement Only (48080)&quant_position=&catalog=36776&printparts=&printservice=&printoperators=&comment1= Post back with questions.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Tan - thanks. Does the pump have to be removed in order to replace the seals? If so, what is the difficulty? I am not a mechanic but if the task is straight-forward enough I can do it.
Expert:  Tan replied 7 months ago.
Yes the pump has to be removed. You have 4 bolts holding the pump to the engine and 2 hoses. It isn't that difficult a job. Just unbolt remove. Now once you have the pump apart is is very important that you inspect the shaft where the seals ride. If you have any grooves in the shaft replace the shaft also. It is listed in the parts break down also.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I think I'm good - thank you..Please do not call me
Expert:  Tan replied 7 months ago.
Your welcome........Please don't forget to positively rate me as that is the only way I get credit for helping you. Follow up questions are always welcome at no extra charge on this subject even after you have rated. Thank you........TanI will not call.