Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

Installed new water pump kit 1992 mercury 50 2 cycle three

Customer Question

installed new water pump kit 1992 mercury 50 2 cycle three cylinder out board and still no water being pumped up to motor. I blown it out with air and have removed thermostat and still no water. When I blow back thru the tell tale hose I feel sight bit of air out end of water tube wher pump connects to. But if I cover the hole sounds like air leaking somewhere at the top of water tube. How can I figure out if it leaking there without tearing down powerhead?
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: pretty much laid it out
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 7 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** will assist you.When you took the lower unit off, did the water tube come out as well?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
no
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
cant I hook a hose directly to water tube
Expert:  Charles replied 7 months ago.
Yes, once the lower unit is off again, you will need to hook a hose to the water tube and see if there is any water coming from the upper grommet.