Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

Older 8 horse motor gets gas to the motor won't turn overall

Customer Question

JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: New gas with 50 to 1 oil,
JA: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: Couldn"t get gas thru original line , I changed tank and line
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** will assist youWhat brand and year is the engine that you have?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I don't know it's a 9.9 eventide outboard
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.
Is the model number listed on the tag on the engine? I can tell the year from that,.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It turns over but no spark ignition
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Evenrude
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.
Evinrude 9.9, I got that, but there have been several different styles of this engine? All with their own electronics. Are you near the engine now?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Model E10RELE9C
Serial: R08572873
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.
Thank you. Looking it up
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.
How long has the engine been sitting unused?How are you testing for spark?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I didn't test for spark I shut it down October August 2015 it was working perfect I ran the gas out of the engine I use seafoam
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'm Not a mechanic but I can try and follow some instruction
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I assumed it had sparked because it turned over it just didn't fire
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.
Ok, first thing to look at is the kill switch on the remove control box. Make sure that the lanyard in installed and the switch is pushed all the way in.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
How can I follow up with this I need to leave for a bit how do I make contact with you again when I get back
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.
Simply reply as you have been doing already. You should also have some emails from the site. I will be on here for another 6 hrs tonight
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'm Back, can we continue
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.
Yes we can
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I don't have a quick release
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.
A quick release??
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The choke is on the speed control I pull it out1 quarter inch and push the lever forward and turn the key to start the engine.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
In order to choke the engine I Mover the lever out and forward
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.
Does this look like your remote control?http://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/EVINRUDE/1990/E10RELESC/REMOTE%20CONTROL/parts.html
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Similar
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
What's next
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.
I was researching. Are you near the boat now?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Yes I'm on it
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.
Great, do you have the lanyard part 77 attached to switch part 52?If you turn your key to RUN, then push in on the key, do you hear a click on the engine?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Are you there
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.
Yes
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.
Did you not see my last reply?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Yes I responded, the motor turned over ,but I turned it off because I wasn't connected to water. I won't be able to put it in the water until morning so I'm hoping that'll work if not can I call you on this ticket tomorrow
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.
What did you do to make it start?Questions here really never truly close. you can reply back just the same as you have been today.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I did as you said I pushed the key in and turned it and that's what I wasn't doing it it started
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.
that is how you actually choke this engine. What you were doing before was just advancing the throttle. On cold starts, push in and hold the key in as you turn it to start, when the engine starts, just let go of the key and the engine should stay running.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Charles I'm back again I got my engine started but it would now it wont stay running it runs for a few seconds and then shuts off I change the spark plugs and set the Gap at 30
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Are u in today
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.
Yes Im here.When you get the engine running and it is about to die, press in on the key and release it a few times, see if the engine will stay running.Or try squeezing the primer bulb, which step will keep it running?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I did that and it would keep running but as soon as it would go through its cycle it would stop like I got it I did it like 40 times but as soon as I didn't push it anymore it stopped
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I put in new spark plugs and set the Gap at 30 I put in a new gas tank and a new hose line
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I took the air vent off and looked inside I didn't fool around with the carburetor because I wouldn't know what to do
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.
By hitting the choke you are making it draw more fuel. Which means that it is lean. You are going to need to do first, a compression test on the engine. Lets make sure that it can draw the fuel in. Second is that carb is going to need to come off and be cleaned. I can tell you how to do it as we go.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Are u available now
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
How do I do a compression test
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.
You will need to rent a gauge from a chain auto parts store. Then remove the spark plugs. Pull the kill lanyard from the kill switch to stop the spark. Install the tester into the top spark plug hole. Crank the engine over until the gauge maxes out. record that number. Do the same for the other cylinder.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Good I have 45 min before I have to go for awhile
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.
ok, is that something that you can do in that amount of time?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Is it possible to do the carburetor first and I'll call up and see if I can get a gauge
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I called and I can get a compression tester I don't know how to get the spark released can you help
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I don't have a lang to pull to shut off spark
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.
Post me a pic of your control box here.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I did the compression test bull spark plugs read 110
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Both plugs read 110
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
What next
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.
Ok great. ow the carb needs to come off. Make sure to remove the fuel line and the throttle arm.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'm not sure how to take the carb off,can you show me
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.
Do you still have the entire air box off?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Yes
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.
Ok, there is a fuel hose that is going to the bottom of the carb , remove it. Then take of the two nuts that hold the carb onto the intake maniflod
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Do I have to cut the strap off the fuel line
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.
If it is a plastic tie strap, yes