Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 2006 Johnson 50 horse etech motor. It will idle and

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Johnson 50 horse etech motor. It will idle and run at low speed but when you go full throttle it seems to run out of fuel and then dies will not start. You wait about 5 minutes it will start and run at about 1/4 throttle.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 7 months ago.
Hi William, good morning my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you. Does the engine have a fuel primer bulb on the fuel line? If Yes, does pumping that bulb over and over allow the engine to run longer or better?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I pumped the ball of course and it doesn't matter maybe the lift pump is still not right. or could it be the fuel pump separator. It runs at about 1/4 throttle and if you open it up it runs out of fuel weather you pump the ball or not.
I don't really want to be charged for anything unless it is a problem answer other than what I already know. Pumping the ball is not a answer.
Expert:  Jason replied 7 months ago.
Do you have a fuel pressure gauge so that we can check fuel pressure when the engine stalls?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No fuel gage
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have a soft fuel line coming out of the fuel filter that is why I asked about the vacuum sucking that fuel line closed
Expert:  Jason replied 7 months ago.
It's possible for that line to be getting sucked shut. All you can do is replace it and see what happens.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Nothing is helping you haven't told me anything I haven't already tried. Thank you for trying to help
Expert:  Jason replied 7 months ago.
You don't have a fuel pressure gauge to do any testing. If you don't have any tools there is nothing I can do about that. There are no tricks or shortcuts with these things, especially an Etec.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.