Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

Pearl, I'm having a problem with my 2004 Mercury Optimax

Customer Question

Hi Pearl, I'm having a problem with my 2004 Mercury Optimax 150hp outboard. This has been going on since I purchased the boat 8 years ago. While at idle the overtemp alarm sounds within a few minutes of starting up. To silence it, I shut the motor off and immediately restart and this will clear it for a couple more minutes. Problem is I have to go through a long no-wake zone which also sounds the alarm, so I am constantly shutting the motor down while under way which is down right unsafe. Once I clear the alarm and accelerate the motor runs great.
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: So far I have replaced the water pump and impeller 4 times. I have tried both style impellers for this motor. I have also replaced the thermostats. None of these have solved the problem.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? Do you happen to have the serial number on the engine? Has the engine ever been scanned to see if the alarm was for engine overheat, or air compressor overheat? Either scenario will make the gauge (if you have one) show hot. You wrote that you have been having this engine for 8 years. Has it been to the dealer in the last 8 years?
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.
Hello. It looks like you read my reply and logged off. Did you still need help with this?If you are trying to reply back please make sure you are logged into the website and replying back to the chat box on the website. We do not work on email, so If you are replying back to emails, I will not receive those.