Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

I need to set timing on a mercury 40 horse 4 stroke JA: Sometimes

Customer Question

i need to set timing on a mercury 40 horse 4 stroke
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: its 2011 model been seating up and would not turn over. so i took flywheel and belt off and got motor turning. put back together and is firing but want crank. would taking flywheel off cause it not to crank.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: not that i know of
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? All Mercurys are cataloged by serial number, can I get that number so I can see exactly which engine you have? Next, are you trying to set crank to cam timing, or ignition timing?
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.
It looks like you read my reply. Did you have your serial number handy or did you need to go and get it?