Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

Where can I find a hydraulic cylinder old 70hp Johnson

Customer Question

Where can I find a hydraulic cylinder for an old 70hp Johnson tilt and trimP
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 7 months ago.
Hi John, my name is***** model engine never came with power trim. Are you sure the model number is *****? Or has this outboard been cobbled together with many different parts from different years? The first year Johnson (and evinrude) installed a trim unit on a 70 horsepower engine was 1980.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I just asked a local boat and motor mechanic with about 30 years experience whether the hydraulic tilt and trim was after-market, and he said that it came with the motor. What does the 1980 version look like? Is it possible the parts are interchangeable?
Expert:  Jason replied 7 months ago.
Click this link. This is a 1980 engine. http://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/JOHNSON/1980/J70ELCSA/POWER%20TILT%20AND%20TRIM/parts.html Engines 79 and prior did not come with power trim. Does that match your trim system?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I sent three photos of my engine to the "info" email address. Meanwhile, my local boat mechanic found a used cylinder. I'm worried that it'll leak hydraulic fluid, but given my options, I'm going to try to make it work. So you can move on to someone else's question.
Expert:  Jason replied 7 months ago.
We do not work on email here, all correspondence is done through the website, pictures should be uploaded directly to me here via the "add files" button. I'm sorry if you were waiting for a response from me, but I never received any pictures.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The rule you just explained to me is not stated on the website.
Expert:  Jason replied 7 months ago.
I don't know what to say, i'm just a contractor that answers boat questions, I do not work directly for the website.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I hear you. And I know the 'system' is out of your control. I appreciate your efforts, but in this case, they were not helpful to me.
Expert:  Jason replied 7 months ago.
Sorry I couldn't help you out on this one. If you end up having any billing questions you want to get in touch customer service at***@******.*** luck!Jason