Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

Can a marine engine D9 be converted from 500hp to 575hp?

Customer Question

Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 11 months ago.
Hi Steve, my name is***** a nutshell no, it can not be reasonably converted, upgraded, or the horsepower increased. The reason why is in order for engines to be sold in the US, Volvo has to send sample engines to the EPA for testing. If the engine passes EPA testing, the engine is then certified for sale. That being said, if it is "your" engine "you" can do anything you want to it. But it is illegal for dealers to knowingly make changes to engines that are certified by the EPA. Because of that, no dealer will do any of the work. The D9-500 and the D9-575 are the same engines. They use the same block, pistons, camshaft, turbocharger, injectors. But they do use different ECM's. The ECM's on these engines are actually blank when you order one. To order an ECM on these engines what has to be done is the dealer calls Volvo and provides the serial number, Volvo in turn takes an ECM from their stock, and then flashes it for for a 500 or 575 engine, depending on what you have. But what they(the dealer and Volvo) will not do is flash an ECM for an improper serial number. The EPA fines are large enough to discourage them from doing that. Does that all make sense to you?
Expert:  Joe replied 11 months ago.
Hello, Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is Joe and I will be happy to assist you with your concern today. Horsepower in general can be increased on just about anything where parts are available to do so, so long as the person is willing to spend what it takes to do so. Diesels can sometimes be easily converted with simple reprogramming (not just required by a dealer in all cases), however there are other things that should still be done. Machine work also comes into play at some point as well for increasing power. What it comes down to is so long as the parts are available and the person has the money, then changes can be made. People increase horsepower all the time be it auto, marine, farm, industrial, etc. Thank you!- JoePlease rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated. If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.
Expert:  Jason replied 11 months ago.
I think that should do it. But I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank. Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.Thank youJason