Noel Schembri
Noel Schembri, Marine Technician
Experience:  Advanced technical diploma

I have a 2006 250 hpdi. The powerhead was replaced with a Hydrotech

Customer Question

I have a 2006 250 hpdi. The powerhead was replaced with a Hydrotech about 20 hours ago and the motor has run great.
Now the motor keeps cutting out. It started when I was running on plane at about 5000 rpms. Motor started to sputter, kicked back in, cut out, kicked in then died. Motor restarted but would die each time I tried to get on plane. I idled back to the ramp.
Next morning I toom it back out and it ran fine for half the day (about 30 minnutes of actual motor time). Then did the same thing. Cut out, kick in, cut out and die. I idled it for about an hour towards the ramp and frustrated, I got on it and it ran fine for a mile to the ramp.
Took it out again a week later and it ran on plane for about 2 minnutes and died again.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Noel Schembri replied 5 months ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will assist you. The problem you are describing is either fuel starvation or an electronic component overheating by time. So starting with fuel i suggest you check all hoses, filters pickup in fuel tank and also the fuel tank vent. Make sure everything up to the engine is clean and free. Then if the problem persists i suggest you get the engine hooked to a diagnostic tool while and get the problem happening and from there you can see what is happening in the electronics part. To do this job you would need a marine mechanic but. If you still have questions let me know. noel