Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

When you first start the motor it will run about 10 min then

Customer Question

When you first start the motor it will run about 10 min then it stalls then pull start it again fired right back up and stalls out min or two and will repeat over and over
Category: Boat
Expert:  K. Kergan replied 7 months ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** can be caused by a closed vent on the fuel tank.Make sure the tank vent is clear (open and not clogged) and let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
We tryed that went as far as taking cap of gas tank to see if that would work
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
When it stall there its now no miss no nothing just dies
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Also put new spark plugs in it
I'd better opt out, this motor is newer than I've worked on.Thought I recognized the symptoms but now I'm not so sure.
Expert:  Charles replied 7 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** will assist you.When the motor stalls, do you need the choke to get it restarted?How long has it been sitting?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No choke and just winter months less then 6
Expert:  Charles replied 7 months ago.
First, can you check the fuel and make sure that there is not water in it?Is there any maintenance that has been done to the engine?Can you do a compression test on the engine?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Alteady got new gas for it. Changed plugs in it. Last year had a new cdi put in it and oil change. Last year the motor went down but wouldnt run at all sent it to a shop and they replace cdi and change oil. Got it back run it two or three times and put it up for winter
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Today we check wires connection and check to see if fuel was coming thought the pump check fuel bowl everyrhing check ok
Expert:  Charles replied 7 months ago.
So your engine sank last year? Fresh or salt water?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No it wasnt sank
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It went down meaning it wouldnt run at all
Expert:  Charles replied 7 months ago.
Ok got it. Can you do a spark check and a compression test on the engine? For the spark test, hook a timing light to the number one plug wire and watchthe flashing, see if it stops before the motor dies or is it a good flash?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
That what i was going to check in the morning
Expert:  Charles replied 7 months ago.
Great. I will be online after 10 AM CST. While you are at the motor, also make sure that the fuel is clean and has no water in it. It is very easy to buy water at a gas station now a days.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Do you think the cdi could be the problem again
Expert:  Charles replied 7 months ago.
Not truly since it starts. Possibly a stator or a pulser coil. I am really leaning more toward the carb currently. But your testing in the morning may change that.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It lost spark at the last second motor was pretty warm is there a shutdown if its to hot
Expert:  Charles replied 7 months ago.
When you had the engine running, did you have a supply of water going to it?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Had little stream coming out
Expert:  Charles replied 7 months ago.
Ok, do you have a multimeter to do some testing?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yup
Expert:  Charles replied 7 months ago.
Great. Set the meter to read AC volts, unplug the two wires coming from the charge coil. Crank the engine over while testing the voltage between them. then unplug the one wire coming from the pulser coil. While cranking the engine over, test between it and the engine block. Let me know what you get on each.