Noel Schembri
Noel Schembri, Marine Technician
Experience:  Advanced technical diploma
41498811

Looking to purchase an older Mercury 500 outboard (1967)

Customer Question

Looking to purchase an older Mercury 500 outboard (1967) and was wondering what I should check for in regards ***** ***** problems. I am familiar with doing a pressure check but read that these motors were prone to cracked blocks due to overheating. How does one check for that? The motor is supposed to run well but that's to be seen when I make an appt!
Thanks
Category: Boat
Expert:  Noel Schembri replied 8 months ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will assist you. As for that engine I suggest you first start by making a compression test and make sure that the compression is good on all cylinders. If that is ok check for spark quality, it should have a good blue spark when tested with a spark gap tester. Also move the engine by hand to test the engine mounts, make sure they are firm and the engine does not have a lot of play. Finally if that is ok too, then i would check the gear oil to see that is not milky in color. If it is not then i think it should be ok but still i suggest a test drive of the engine to see it does not overheat or misfires during running. If you require further assistance let me know. Noel