Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

No spark at the spark plugs and the power tilt stopped working

Customer Question

No spark at the spark plugs and the power tilt stopped working on a 2003 Mercury 60 hp 4 stroke
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: It wouldn't start, it just keeps turning over but no fire. I checked for fire with an inline spark plug tester and it gets no spark.i checked the kill switch position first, toggling on and off, then checked the wire to the kill switch and it grounds out when engaged, as it should. I checked the fuses and all the ones I can see appear good, but I'm wondering now if there is one in the power tilt that is blown that I'm not seeing. When I went to pull the boat out I realized the power tilt wasn't working.
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: The 20 amp fuse by the spark plug wires appears melted slightly but still has resistance. I've already replaced it though and am also wondering if it could be a loose ground somewhere. I think the last time I cleaned all the grounds when that fuse got hot I found about 9 of them and that fixed that problem three years ago.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 11 months ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? All Mercurys are cataloged by serial number, can I start by getting that number. Next, do you have a decent quality digital volt/ohm meter, and do you know how to take both voltage and resistance measurements? When did this problem start? When did the engine last run?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
0T670829
Yes
About a month ago after a normal daily boat ride. The next day it wouldn't start.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I live on a lake and take nearly daily boat rides before going to work. It was running fine up until it wouldn't start.
Expert:  Jason replied 11 months ago.
Got it. Are you near the engine now and ready to work?
Expert:  Jason replied 11 months ago.
Are you still with me?