Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have twin yamaha 250, 1998 salt water seires. One is using

Customer Question

I have twin yamaha 250, 1998 salt water seires. One is using twice as much oil as the other. Whats wrong and how can I fix it.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hi Roberto, my name is***** are the model numbers on the engines? How much oil is each engine using roughly?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have the model numbers with me now, they are 250 hp, 1998, salt water series.One engine uses about one gallon of oil per 100 gallons of gas, the other uses two gallons of oil for every 100 gallons of gas
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
You wrote that you replaced the oil pump on the engine that was using to much oil, is that correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Is the oil pumps link rod adjusted correctly per the service manual?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jason I am not a mechanic, I just want to know what are the thinks that can be possibly wrong. I don't know if the link rod was adjusted.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
There are no external leaks at all, correct?Did you change the pump yourself, or did you have it done?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank, please conclude are session. This is going no where.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
I'm just trying to help. But i'm sure the dealers can help you more at 100 bucks an hour or more. Good luck with your problem.