Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

Kids were playing with the boat shift controls. Now when I

Customer Question

Kids were playing with the boat shift controls. Now when I turn the key to start the starter will not engauge.Have power to the solenoid and can jump around the solenoid and starter will enguage. Guessing it might be the netural safety switch. Trying to locate it in the drawing.
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: Just that it worked fine until they had their playtime.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 9 months ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** safety switch is in the control. Look for the 2 yellow/red wires. Jump these 2 together if engine cranks then the safety switch is damaged.I can be more specific on the switch if I know what you have for a control make and model please?