Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.

I have a regal boat that has a hose that by-sects the raw

Customer Question

I have a regal boat that has a hose that by-sects the raw water intake pump and the in-let at the out-drive. It looks like it could be for flushing out the engine. Is it standard to have one of these on this type of boat or is this a modification. Either way how do I use it or install one. any and all info you could give please. Or direct me to where I can get the info.
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Can you flush out the boat while in the water and whats to keep the out-drive from sucking in salt water. Do you need a shut off valve or will it suck fresh water from the intake hose that by-sect the raw water hose.
Expert:  Charles replied 5 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** will assist you.If the item in your boat looks like this one here, it is used for flushing the engine with fresh water even when you are still in the salt water. It works by there is a check valve inside the body of it and it will shut off the pull of the water pump and take only the fresh water into the system. This allows you to run the engine at idle and flush the salt out of it, keeping the cooling system in better shape for a longer period of time.If yous does not look like this one, can you post a pic of it here so that I may see it?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Do you have to access it by the engine
Expert:  Charles replied 5 months ago.
Yes, the link that I posted can be accessed right next to the engine(s). Is this what the one that you have looks like?