Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

Jeff I have an johnson 50 es72c but dont have any spark Could

Customer Question

Hello jeff
I have an johnson 50 es72c but dont have any spark
Could you help me?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 7 months ago.
Remove the engine cover. On the side of the engine is the powerpack. It has a cover held on by 3 screws. Remove the cover. The cover should have labels on it with the wiring. Locate the black/yellow wire and remove it from the powerpack. Move it away from touching anything. Crank engine and check for spark.Do you have an ohm meter or peak reading voltmeter?Look under the flywheel. The stator which generates the voltage for the ignition is there. Check to see if it is leaking a thick, sticky material. If so it needs replacement.Post back what you find.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks Jeff. I followed your instructions. Without the black yellow disconnected I still don't have sparks.
After that I unmount the flywheel and the left plastic black ball have something like wax leaking. Please see my photos attached.
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 7 months ago.
That coil is overheating and may have shorted out. Before going any further replace the stator, then retest. That coil is the charge coil that provides the ignition with voltage. The smaller ones on the stator is the alternator.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hello, the coil you are talking about is that two black cylinders??? The alternator is the green cylinders??
Do you think it's possible the pickup is faulty to?? Or the power bank,?? There's any way to test this two components( the pickup or the power bank)?? I have a multimeter
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 7 months ago.
Yes the charge coils are the black ones and the green the alternator.You can't test the powerpack with an ohm meter. We test it by testing the voltage in and voltage out. The timer base is the other component under the flywheel but rarely goes bad.I would replace the stator before going any further.