Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

1989 Mercury 90hp 3 cyl. Bought boat out of a barn was sitting,

Customer Question

1989 Mercury 90hp 3 cyl. Bought boat out of a barn was sitting, cleaned tank rebuilt carbs , fuel pump, new fuel lines bypassed oil injection pre mixed fuel motor runs great for about 10 min under load then at idle dies will not start can't reproduce problem on water hose?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 7 months ago.
Hello Bobby. My name is ***** ***** checked spark when it won't restart?Have you tried a different fuel tank?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It's on a pontoon boat can't get to it. Once I get it out of water it starts and is fine . Fuel line has a clear glass filter has good fuel tank was cleaned and everything on it is new. I don't have a portable tank
Expert:  Tan replied 7 months ago.
Well you have either no spark or no fuel. So we have to do some testing to determine which. If you are sure it is getting fuel then that leaves spark but we have to test for spark. We have to check for spark when the engine will not start.When the engine dies have you tried squeezing the primer bulb and restarting?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
are you still there
Expert:  Tan replied 7 months ago.
Yes did you read my last post? Here it is again.Well you have either no spark or no fuel. So we have to do some testing to determine which. If you are sure it is getting fuel then that leaves spark but we have to test for spark. We have to check for spark when the engine will not start. When the engine dies have you tried squeezing the primer bulb and restarting?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No I didn't squeeze bulb but it did have fuel in filter, I can try again in the morning if it's not raining what are you thinking power pack or coils?
Expert:  Tan replied 7 months ago.
Not all coils will go bad at the same time. More like switch box or stator. Post back when you have checked.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok I will check spark in the morning
Expert:  Tan replied 7 months ago.
Ok I'm on at 8 am PST.