Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I own a 2003 Regal 2250 buddy cabin Volvo Penta 5.0L I recently

Customer Question

I own a 2003 Regal 2250 buddy cabin Volvo Penta 5.0L
I recently replaced plugs , wires , cap , rotor and coil, fuel filter, syphon valve and fuel line last 3
times out it ran great . now when I throttle up it gets to 2000
RPM and boggs out it runs fine till then back off throttle its fine again. I can put it
in neutral and it will rev up to 5000 RPM no problem it only happens under a load
suggestions what should I be looking at ? fuel or electrical ?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 7 months ago.
Hello. My name is***** will most likely be a fuel related issue as the engine runs ok. What cause this is a fuel restriction where the engine doesn't get enough fuel not allowing the engine to produce full power. With no load the engine doesn't require as much fuel it will run up to full throttle. But when you put it under a load it requires allot more fuel.We need to do a vacuum test of the boat side fuel system or run the engine on a different fuel source. Which would you like to do?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
How do run a vacuum test ? Or should I do a fuel pressure test
Expert:  Tan replied 7 months ago.
I would do the vacuum test first. If you had a fuel pressure issue the engine wouldn't run up to 2000. To do a vacuum test tee in a vacuum gauge on the suction side of the fuel pump in the fuel supply line. Then run the boat the gauge shouldn't exceed 2" of vacuum at any rpm. All you need is a vacuum gauge a brass tee some fuel hose.