Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

MERCURY 2002 2 STROKE 60 HP. TURN KEY AND IT CLICKS ONLY.

Customer Question

MERCURY 2002 2 STROKE 60 HP. TURN KEY AND IT CLICKS ONLY. NEW STARTER AND SOLENOID. IT DID THIS LAST YEAR AND BUT ALWAYS STARTED SOONER OR LATER.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: STARTER DOESN'T TURN, JUST KINDA CLICKS
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: NO 2002 MOTOR ALWAYS STARTED
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? Do you have a hand held volt meter and are you able to take voltage measurements?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
should I buy one ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
I sent you the offer for phone service, if you accept it I can call you right away - Jason
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry I do have a hand held "battery tester" that shows the battery is perfectly good
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Did you want me to give you a call or did you want to stay online?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
stay online
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if it matters, I put a new starter on this morning . Last year I put new solenoid on. It is doing the same thing it did before new starter
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
If you don't know how to use a meter it's not something I can teach you how to use over the internet. Clicking is a sign that there is low voltage to the solenoid, or a bad solenoid. You changed the solenoid out so that rules that out. If the battery is good, that only leaves the cables left. Where you want to start is by removing the positive and negative cables, sanding down al 4 cable ends with sand paper until they are clean and shiney, sand down the ground point on the block until that is clean and shiney, and finally sand down the battery terminals until they are clean and shiney. Reattach the cables, and then see what happens. Whenever cables have corrosion in them, that corrosion is what causes a drop in voltage. If it still does it after you clean the cable ends up, then you would want to replace the battery cables. What tends to happen on marine battery cables is that over time water gets in behind the end crimps on the cables, and that water wicks its way up the cable where it rots the cable from the inside out. I'm adding a picture, this is what ends up happening to boat battery cables all the time. What it should look like is nice and clean copper, but as you can see in the picture, it is all green with corrosion. Does that all make sense to you?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank. Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.Thank youJason
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
makes sense. I did clean most connections but I will check battery cables
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
The cables can look like new on the outside but be rotten on the inside, just like the one in the picture. The only real way to tell is to first A. Rule everything else out, which you have done. And B. Slice the cable down the middle with a razor. This is pretty common with marine battery cables, it happens to them all sooner or later. Was there anything else?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
The ratings box is located at the top of your screen. Please let me know if you can not see it or have any problems when trying to select a rating for my service. Please keep in mind the website does charge you to speak with me. But they will hold your money and not credit me for helping you until you select a rating for me. Thanks again,Jason
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
cleaned the ground on the engine block.
I tried a different battery. I checked I replaced the old school terminal on the positive. The cable end is bright orange. So you think I should slice them down the middle ? I appreciate your help Jason
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
If there was no change after you did all of that then you would replace the cables next.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what if I attach jumper cables to the positive and negative on the motor, then attach to another battery to see to battery ?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Sure, that's something you can do if you have the means to.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did it. same thing. does that rule of cable ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry the cables I mean.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Not necessarily, the jumper cables could be bad to. At this point we have done everything we can without a volt meter. In order to narrow down the issue a volt meter is going to be required. I can't teach you how to use a volt meter over the internet, it would take way to long. But if you want to go an buy a meter, and then set up a phone service, I can walk you through the testing over the phone. (I am a real person, a certified mechanic, and I do speak perfect English). If that's something you want to do just let me know. If not, we have taken this as far as we can without having a meter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Jason
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Did you want to get a meter and do phone service or no?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank. Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.Thank youJason