Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.

2010 evinrude 15 ho. Power trim goes down no problem, up no.

Customer Question

2010 evinrude 15 ho. Power trim goes down no problem, up no. What do I do?
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
E mail is***@******.***. 15 hp e tech
Expert:  Charles replied 5 months ago.
Hello Don my name is***** will assist you.Do you hear any clicking when you press the up trim?Is this remote or tiller steer?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Tiller- yes there is a electrical clicking sound sometimes or nothing at all. If I keep pushing down button many times when there is no sound, then I'll get the clicking electrica sound and it goes down very jittery while the sound continues
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Works great going up
Expert:  Charles replied 5 months ago.
Is this on the trim switch at the helm or on the engine? Or does it make a difference as to which switch you use?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Only one switch, on tiller
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Sound comes from engine, tiller side
Expert:  Charles replied 5 months ago.
Ok, we need to test that switch before trying to replace anything. Do you have a multimeter?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Expert:  Charles replied 5 months ago.
Alright, I am going to need for you to rent one. You can get one from most all chain auto parts stores. We need to identify which part is faulty, so that you are not replacing costly parts that are still good.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok, will do tomorrow, I'll bet you are correct. Is there a trick to removing switch or is it straight common sense if I just look at it
Expert:  Charles replied 5 months ago.
You do have to take some of the tiller arm apart to get the switch free, but it is not too bad.