Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

Have a alumacraft dual impact with 115 merc. Occasionally

Customer Question

have a alumacraft dual impact with 115 merc. Occasionally hard to start. if I play with throttle handle it starts. my tech said he could not find anything malfunctioning. Also, I thought gas gauge wasfaulty, but we rocked the boat a bit, the needle moved, and he said it is ok. Does that sound accurate?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 7 months ago.

Hi Karen, my name is Jason.

When you say the engine is hard to start, is it cranking over but not starting? Or does it not crank over at all unless you wiggle the throttle handle back and forth a bit?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
it does not crank over at all
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
it does not crank at all
Expert:  Jason replied 7 months ago.

Hi Karen. If you hold the key to start with one hand, and then wiggle the shifter handle with your other hand, can you get it to crank/start then?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
it will crank
Expert:  Jason replied 7 months ago.

Got it. The problem is going to be a bad neutral switch inside of the shifter box. The neutral switch is there to keep the boat from accidently starting in gear. The reason why you have to wiggle the shifter handle to get it to start is because the shifter box mechanism that the handle is attached to is wearing out, and it is no longer returning to the same "true neutral" position each time. What you would have to do if you want the problem fixed is to replace the shifter box, does that all make sense to you? Did you have any other questions on the issue?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
great info
Expert:  Jason replied 7 months ago.

You are very welcome and I was glad I could help.

I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you

Jason

Expert:  Jason replied 7 months ago.

Hi Karen.

It looks like you read my answer without replying back or leaving a rating for my service. Please keep in mind the website does charge you to speak with me. But they will hold your money and not credit me for helping you until you select a rating for me.

Thanks again,

Jason

Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.

Hi Karen, just checking in, did you have any other questions on the issue?

Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.

Hi Karen, just checking in. No rating has been put through for my service. Did you still need help on the issue?