Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

Having trouble with 1999 mericruser 5.7.Bought the boat

Customer Question

Having trouble with 1999 mericruser 5.7.Bought the boat after it had been sitting 3 years. Cleaned risers, exhaust, changed fuel oil pressure sensor, fuel sensor, changed fuel water separator, injectors, cleaned throttle body, new circular water pump and new water pump in the leg. On start up jumps to 2000 Rpms, alarms and starts to over heat. Oil pressure gage is pegged at 80. I'm at a loss for what to do next. Any suggestions?
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
My engine number is *****
Expert:  Jason replied 7 months ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? Does the boat have Alpha or Bravo sterndrives?Does the engine open or closed cooling?Have you verified the engine is running hot with an IR temp gun?Is the exhaust risers running hotter or colder than the engine temperature?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
This is Eddie, engine is alpha 1 gen 2 , open cooling, the risers are hotter than the engine temp. Water is not coming out of the transom exhaust.
Expert:  Jason replied 7 months ago.
Hi Eddie. Good morning and sorry for the delay. We all do this on the side, from our houses. When you last replied last night I was already off to bed (I'm on eastern time) Are you doing this work yourself or is somebody doing it for you? Are you running the boat in the water, or on a garden hose? If you prefer we can also do this over the phone, I will send you the information on that.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Doing the work myself. On a hose.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Chat is fine
Expert:  Jason replied 7 months ago.
Are you positive the impellers are installed correctly? Can you put the boat in the water and see what happens/check water output?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The dock is pretty far from my house, running on garden hose
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'm gonna change the impeller again
Expert:  Jason replied 7 months ago.
Are you positive the impellers are installed correctly? Was this your first time doing an impeller job on an Alpha drive, or have you done them in the past?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I've done them in the past , but I'm pretty sure it was installed correctly
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'm gonna take the leg back off an see if the impeller crumbled
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
That's just the overheating issues
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'm not sure why it idling at 2K Rpms then after I see it running hot I turn it off then it's hard to restart..... The alarm is sounding the whole time the motor is running, my oil pressure gauge is pegged at 80psi,
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I took the lead off the oil sender, ran a jump wire from the sensor plug wire to the block an the gauge went to 0 when I turned the key on....
Expert:  Jason replied 7 months ago.
On the engine there are temperature and oil sending units, and then there are oil and temperature switches. The senders provide a signal to the gauge, the switches provide a signal to the alarm. What you want to do is double check your impeller installation, and make sure you are twisting the driveshaft clockwise as you push the pump cover down. Also make sure all gaskets are in place. After that, put the boat in the water and see what happens. A lot of times these sterndrives will have a hard time pulling a prime on the garden hose, especially if there is an aeration or water saving device on that garden hose. If the engine stays cool when in the water then the problem was just the impellers not wanting to pull a prime on the garden hose. If it still runs hot, what you want to do next is pull the water line off of the thermostat housing. This is the water line that comes out of the top of the inner transom plate. Start the engine up and see how much flow you are getting out of the line. You should get roughly a gallon in 15 seconds. If you do not, the problem is either in the water pump, or the water line between the gimbal housing and the outer transom plate. If you do get good water flow, check to make sure the thermostats are installed correctly. Does that all make sense to you?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes it makes sense, I I'm going to pull the hose that comes from transom put garden hose thru that an see if my impeller is bad, if water starts coming out the back like is should them I'm going to replace impeller.....
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have the cool fuel on my motor
Expert:  Jason replied 7 months ago.
I I'm going to pull the hose that comes from transom put garden hose thru that an see if my impeller is bad No, that's not what you want to do. What you want to do is pull that line off and see if water comes out of it when you start the engine up. Make sure the boat is in the water for this test. The impellers do not always pump water reliably when running on the garden hose. Did you have any other questions on the issue?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok I get what you are saying....
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'll check it out today an get back with you I'm one EST also
Expert:  Jason replied 7 months ago.
OKay let me know how you make out.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I will
Expert:  Jason replied 7 months ago.
okay sounds good.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Took the impeller off still looks new to me. But replacing anyway
Expert:  Jason replied 7 months ago.
If it looks new then keep it. Just make sure it's installed correctly with the vanes facing the correct direction.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Here is the picture of old versus new
Expert:  Jason replied 7 months ago.
The impellers look fine. You obviously need a new gasket but I would go ahead and reuse that impeller. Really what you should have done was put the boat in the water before pulling that all apart. You have to remember that they don't aways pump water well on the garden hose. What matters is what it does in the water.
Expert:  Jason replied 7 months ago.
Just checking in. Any progress?
Expert:  Jason replied 7 months ago.
Hi Eddie, how are you making out? I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.Thank youJason