Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 1965 Chris Craft Constellation with 327 engines.

Customer Question

I have a 1965 Chris Craft Constellation with 327 engines. I have had a problem with one engine stalling after running a while and warming up. Once it stalls, it will not start for 1.5 - 2 hours. Have verified that it is not a fuel problem and cleaned carb, replaced filters, have replaced the coil, and checked plugs and etc. Thinking it has to be electrical and something that is heating up. Electronic ignition, distributor.....any ideas?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 11 months ago.
Hello. My name is***** the engine quits have you checked the voltage supply to the ignition coil? Have you run the engine on a different fuel source to rule out possible boat side fuel supply issue?Have have you determined it is not a fuel supply issue?
Expert:  Tan replied 11 months ago.
The last statement should have read How have you determined it is not fuel supply issue?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Have not checked voltage coming to coil
Have verified gas quality
Have not tried alternate fuel source.Seems to be heat related.electrical or otherwise
Expert:  Tan replied 11 months ago.
If you have debris in the fuel tank it can takes some time for it to block the fuel supply. Then when the boat sits the debris falls away from the pick up tube allowing fuel flow again. Then the process repeats. Now if it is electrical the only way to know is to check the voltage supply to the ignition coil. Then only things that can heat up and cause a voltage issue is the coil which is new or a ballast resistor. Since you have gone to electronic you shouldn't have a ballast resistor. Does this make sense?