Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

My name is ***** ***** have a tohatsu 2003 50 hp tldi mod #md50beptol

Customer Question

hi my name is ***** ***** have a tohatsu 2003 50 hp tldi mod #md50beptol ser #021401xc i was not able to start it for 3yrs when i tried last yr good spark no start boat in different state 700 miles away be there in a week thank you
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 10 months ago.
Hello Earl, my name is***** will assist you. Provided that you still had spark when you recently tried to start the engine, there are a few things that you can test. You will need a gauge that can read over 100 PSI and screw onto a valve that looks like a tire valve stem. You will also need a multimeter. Do you think that you can get access to these items?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.
How may i assist you Earl?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
my phone #(###) ###-####
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.
Submitted the offer to you Earl.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I will not have access to the motor until @10 days (still in NC); I will have the items you mentioned at that time and can do hands on; to complete this question I can either wait until then or if you have some troubleshooting information to send me please do so; I am not interested in any other paid services at this time, but thanks for the offer. Please reply so that I will know what direction we are going with this; Earl
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.
Hello, Earl. What you need to do is to test the fuel pressure on the rail with the gauge. When you turn the key on, you should hear a pump run. This is the one that is providing the pressure to the rail..If the pump is not running, you will need to remove it from the engine, apply 12V directly to the terminals and see if you can get it to run. My feeling is that after so long, it will not run due to the fuel that was left in it varnishing over. if it does not run, before you buy a new one, let me know and we can try a little trick to save it.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** be in touch when I get to North Carolina next week. Earl
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.
Sounds good Earl. Talk to you then.