Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

Teleflex safe-t rotary stear would not turn and my sone reaped

Customer Question

Teleflex safe-t rotary stear would not turn and my sone reaped on wheel to loosen up and it seems to be skipping or missing can I only replace cable or what?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 7 months ago.
Hello Brian, my name is***** will assist you.The cable can be replaced by itself, but with the helm missing or skipping as you say, you could have a broken tooth on a gear inside it and a new cable wil not solve all of your issues. Is there anything else that I may answer for you?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Sounds to me like a tooth how do you replace the helm tooth?
Expert:  Charles replied 7 months ago.
Hello again Brian, Generally you do not repair a helm, you replace it. I am not sure if there are even replacement gears available for the helm.