Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

Working on a 2003 Honda bf225, when turning the key to the

Customer Question

Working on a 2003 Honda bf225, when turning the key to the on position we do not get the beeps or lights on the ignition switch display. The engine does crank but will not start, after letting it sit with the key in the on position, finally it will let out 2 beeps, lights come on and engine will start, turn key off, then back on will beep & start normally. We have compared voltage with the second engine which works properly and found no voltage on some of the fuses that do have voltage on the proper operating engine. We just replaced the main PGM-FI relay since that's what supplies voltage to the fuses on the engine. Still no beep with key on. After 20 or so minutes will beep & start. Any help would be appreciated. Also new ignition switch has been installed. No change
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 7 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** will assist you.What this is sounding like is a voltage issue. Either you have a main relay failure, part number 38580-ZY3-013, the main ECU is failing, or there is a problem with the battery cables getting the required voltage to the engine. I would lean more toward the relay sticking internally or an issue inside the ECU. For starters, I would verify the voltage going to the engine with the key off, and then on. If there is no big difference between them, replace the main relay. If that does not correct the problem, it is going to be inside the ECU.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
This information was not helpful at all, I clearly stated that we have already replaced the main relay & ignition switch. I am looking for which terminals at the main relay should have power or grounds so I can find out if the inputs to the relay are ok
Expert:  Charles replied 7 months ago.
The smaller of the 3 plugs are the control wires, the black is the ground.