Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

Yamaha FX SHO 1812CC 2010, got water in my oil after routine

Customer Question

Yamaha FX SHO 1812CC 2010, got water in my oil after routine water flush, i mean 2 liter of water in the oil after 3 minutes of engine run/flush session.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: water flushing was done accordingly with the procedure, start engine and water hose after then stop water, rise RPM to clear water and stop the engine.
JA: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: no known problem before and 159 hres on the meter 2010 yamaha Fx Cruise SHO.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 7 months ago.
Hi and thank you for your question.I need a bit more clarification here.1.) For starters, was the ski running fine all day, no water in the oil that you knew of, then you bring it home to flush it out, and it gets water in the oil from flushing?2.) Did you happen to check the oil after riding but before flushing?It is just about impossible to flush a water craft correctly and get water in the oil but not be getting water in the oil while riding.It does appear you followed the correct procedure, engine on, water on, flush, water off, engine off. The next thing I suggest is doing a compression test to see if we have any internal problems that could cause this.4.) Also, have you had it back out in the water after this happened? IF so, did any thing happen as far as taking water in?Thanks,RSRBOB
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
1) Just bought this PWC, was winterized by old owner , did check oil before start engine was normal, I start engine for warming the oil before changing oil for the season.
2) the intern hull was dry (was vacuum cleaned be me)
3) after the 3 minutes engine warm up i get water in oil and also water in hull.
4) compression check 135 PSI all.
5) Oil filter check no metal
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I forgot to tell you I had large amount of water, said 2 liters at least, the oil was white milky look.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
hello there, I did not get any answer ans $35.00 been take in my credit card ???
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for the additional information.I just got your response this evening. I believe Justanswer.com does take a deposit against your card, but I have no control over any of that.I am curious how you checked your compression. You are way out of spec, plus to have all 4 cylinders EXACTLY the same is curious as well, like unheard of. They should be within 10%, but if they are all exactly the same to the 1 psi, it sounds like the gauge has issues and is not giving accurate information.As far as getting water into the hull, You will need to look for water spraying somewhere. Although possible, water getting in the hull is not automatically associated with water getting into the oil. It is best to start at the connector for the flush kit and trace the hose down to the engine. The cooling line runs underneath the engine on the left side. if you can't get your hand down there to feel for spraying water, perhaps you can get a mirror down there to be able to see what is going on.I am curious about what the spark plugs looked like when you took them out. Did they all look identical? If they were different in appearance, how would you describe the difference?The most common source of water getting in the oil is from a blown head gasket. Usually a compression test and leak down test can confirm that. However, on your ski, it uses a water cooled oil cooler. It is possible you have a crack in that too that is allowing water to transfer from the cooling system to the lubrication system. Beyond that, any crack in any of the cooling system components could allow water into the oil. The good news is, for you to be taking on that much water, it is going to be very obvious when you see the problem. The down side to that is, you are probably going to have to start taking the ski apart to find the failed component.RSRBOB
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
for compression check I put some oil into cylinder before for corrosion protection due to water into oil,my gage may overestimate a little bit and yes there was + or - 4 psi between reading, I would say that iam not to worry about compression as far as I can see at 8.6 compression ration I was expecting 8.6X14.5=124.7PSI so let say my gage overestimate.Spark plugs look good brown coffee, the engine is now out of the machine, I split the oil cooler and is OK, I pressure check it before splitting (no leak),I check the air intercooler too ok.I hope it is just the cylinder head gasket and not oil to water passage in the bloc that is cracked caused by winter freezing of water in the jacket. If you have any suggestion ?? Best regards
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 7 months ago.
OK. When you pull the head, IF the head gasket was blown, you will see where it was flaming through.As far as the compression, spec is 86.8 psi. You could conceivably have enough oil to boost it almost 50%, but......As far as your calculation for compress from compression ratio, it is accurate, but is all dependent on cam timing. That throws a wrench in the works for attempting to calculate compression PSI from compression ration.I don't suspect it's the head gasket just because the compression was consistent. The spec on gasket surface warpage is 0.004" or 0.10mm. As you mentioned, now we have to look for cracks in the water jacket or possibly even an exhaust manifold. Sadly we are reduced to a visual inspection at this point. It is going to be a case of working through the coolant water flow component by component.If you need any more help or have any more questions, feel free to ask.Thanks,RSRBOB