Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.

I have a 1985 Seaswirl seirra cuddy 18 foot withe a OMC V 6

Customer Question

I have a 1985 Seaswirl seirra cuddy 18 foot withe a OMC V 6 engine and periodically it will stick in gear, I have repalced the shift cable and it still is either hard to shift or sticks but not all the time
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** say sticks do you mean in gear, coming out of gear or both?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
In gear
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.
What happens when you try to pull it out of gear is it hard to pull out of gear? Could I get the engine model number please?Is this a 3.8 or 4.3?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It is really hard to pull out of gear but sometimes it is fine
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.
Ok on the shift bracket there is a small switch # ***** When you depress the button on that switch does the engine stall? Here is a pic of the switch.
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.
There is 2 switches one is over stroke switch and the other interupt switch. Depress the button on both switches with engine running does the engine stall?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have not tried that and right now I'm not able to get to the boat.what else can I try
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.
If the switch that activates when you pull engine out of gear doesn't kill the engine. Unplug the switch and with a jumper wire jump between the 2 pins that correlate with the interupt switch. The engine should stall. If it does the switch is bad. If it doesn't the ESA # ***** module is bad. What these do is momentarily stall the engine when pulling it out of gear. If it isn't working you have to pull real hard to get engine out of gear. Being that these are electrical components they can be intermittent. Post back with questions and findings when you get time to do these checks.Thank you...Tan
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.
In this pic the shift switch is the one not attached to the bracket. You will need to jump pins E&C.