Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

I have a 2005 Yamaha F75 outboard. Last year the trim/tilt

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Yamaha F75 outboard. Last year the trim/tilt would not trim down on occasion (mainly from the motor switch, from the helm control it worked fine). This year it would trim up but not down unless you kept tapping the switch until it would work. I've already replaced the trim relay and that's made no difference and the trim motor itself sounds fine. From further research, I came across a gentlemen on this forum who had the same issue with this motor and finally resolved it by discovering it was a bad diode. Now I've researched my motor's wiring diagram and cannot find the exact location of any diodes. I did find a black silicon component where the black, green & sky blue wires enter and end. You cannot access them as they are encased in a silicon rubber. I guess what I'm wondering is... is there a replacement diode available? The gentlemen on this forum who discovered the same issue purchased his diode from Radio Shack but I'm uncertain of the recommended voltage or amps.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 6 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** will assist you. Do you have a link to that other question. I am unable to locate it. What is the full model of your engine?