Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I had a 1986, 2stroke, 9.9 mercury with electric start.

Customer Question

hi, I had a 1986, 2stroke, 9.9 mercury with electric start. I have changed it to a 1996 ,2stroke 15hp. without electric start. Thinking I would have gained little more speed that I did . My problem now is that my 9.9 electric start would give my battery a little charge. Notice now when using my electronics my batteries are dying faster . Can a starter be added to my 15hp ?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ron, my name is***** you looking to add an electric start or a battery charging system to the 15, or both? To be honest this engine is older so I'm not sure if parts will be available for it. What is the serial number on the engine so I can look this up.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had a electric start on my 9.9 . it would give my battery a boost . at times when my battery was low and I could not start my 75hp. I would run the 9.9 for a little and then start my 75 . my boat is up my camp now and I don't have any info on the engine here
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
I can't look up anything for you without a serial number. There are no time limits here, do you want to reply back when you have the serial number, or do you want to cancel?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
cancel
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please cancel , ill just take it to a marina
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hello Ron, Charles here, another expert here on the site. I was able to look your engines up and able to figure out what all you would need to do to convert the 15 to electric start. It is more than just moving the starter over. You will need most all of the electrical system from the 9.9. The part numbers seem to all match on both years of motors. That would be basically everything on the linked page except harness 7 if both motors are tiller control. This will give you the electric start and the battery charging. The flywheel from the 9.9 would also need to go to the 15. http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Merc2/Mercury/15/0D281000%20THRU%200G760299/Electrical%20Components/parts.htmlIf you can do all of this yourself, you will save several hundred dollars in labor.