Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

2014 60hp 4 stroke - Unknown hrs, was sitting idle

Customer Question

2014 60hp 4 stroke - Unknown hrs, was sitting idle for several months.
A blackish thin liquid is finding its way and out of the speedo pilot hole once tilted and parked. Little smell to liquid, if anything a slight burn smell is detected. Should I be concerned?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** will assist you.Dopes this liquid have a fuel smell or sort of a rotten egg smell?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Whole new ballgame now. I just went into garage, looked at floor, saw some new drops. Lower unit oil is coming from the fill plug. Not at all what I saw previously. This fluid has a strong rotten smell and appears to be free of water. I eased open the drain plug and got a couple drops of water then oil. Again very strong rotten smell.I assumed I need a new fill plus gasket but I cannot budge it. Tells me someone has over tightened it trying to stop the leak. I will next drain the oil to confirm its condition but how do I get the fill plug out? Find someone bigger and stronger or.......?
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.
Is this oi the same color and smell as what was coming from the pitot tube on the gear case?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No not at all. Liquid from pilot hole was black, thin and odorless.I need to get to bed. Early morning Please leave me with what you think. How do we pick up where we left off?
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.
ok, I am thinking that you need to remove the prop and look for any fishing line around the shaft. If there is, you will need to get the prop shaft resealed. If all 3 screws on the gear case are tight, the most common place for water to get in is the prop shaft, followed by the shift shaft, then the drive shaft. I can guide you through any repair on this case, as I am a Mercury Certified Tech, and do work on these for a living. To get back intouch with me, simply reply back to the question as you were tonight. i will be on here most all day tomorrow, and look forward to talking to you then.