Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

Is there an adapter that will go from serial to ribbon

Customer Question

Hi
Is there an adapter that will go from serial to ribbon cable for the system monitor?
I have a 1990 420 dancer.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 7 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** will assist you.i don't quite understand what it is that you are trying to do. Are you wanting to add the Mercury System Monitor to you boat?If so, has the engine been updated?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I bought a system monitor on eBay thinking it was the same as my existing monitor that doesn't work. It's identical size and function, but has a different cable hook up from what I have. I'm asking if I can splice a connector from ribbon cable to serial cable that would make replacement monitor work. I have labeled wire connections on my boat. Nothing for new monitor.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Boat is a 1990 sea ray with 3208 Cat engines
Expert:  Charles replied 7 months ago.
Are the engines newer than the boat?Could you post a pic of the original monitor here?