How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dominick Your Own Question
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Category: Boat
Satisfied Customers: 1009
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
Type Your Boat Question Here...
Dominick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is there an adapter that will go from serial to ribbon

Customer Question

Is there an adapter that will go from serial to ribbon cable for the system monitor?
I have a 1990 420 dancer.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** will assist you.i don't quite understand what it is that you are trying to do. Are you wanting to add the Mercury System Monitor to you boat?If so, has the engine been updated?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I bought a system monitor on eBay thinking it was the same as my existing monitor that doesn't work. It's identical size and function, but has a different cable hook up from what I have. I'm asking if I can splice a connector from ribbon cable to serial cable that would make replacement monitor work. I have labeled wire connections on my boat. Nothing for new monitor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Boat is a 1990 sea ray with 3208 Cat engines
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Are the engines newer than the boat?Could you post a pic of the original monitor here?

Related Boat Questions