Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 1999 Evinrude 175 outboard, and it takes a

Customer Question

Hello, I have a 1999 Evinrude 175 outboard, and it takes a long time to stare, and when it does start it runs for 5 min. then I cant power up it drops down to 3 mph and will stall if I full throttle, along with an engine light that comes on.
Rich
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 7 months ago.
Hi Rich my name is ***** ***** the model number on the engine?When was the last time it ran correctly?How old is the fuel?Have you done any troubleshooting on your own yet, if yes, what have you done?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
MOD# *****
mid Aug of 2015
Fuel 1+ year old with stabilizer when winterized as I was told
Added Fuel to top off the tank last season is the only thing that was done, abd added new oil
Expert:  Jason replied 7 months ago.
Okay this is a Ficht. I do not work on Ficht engines, I will opt out and leave this open to the community. Good luck.
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 7 months ago.
Hi Rich. All of the Ficht engines are EMM computer controlled. The check engine light is telling us there is a failure in one the sensors or the EMM is getting faulty readings. More than likely it is going into SAFE mode to save the engine.Unfortunately it is not a user friendly engine. You need the computer software and special cable to check all of the trouble codes and running parameters.Are you mechanically handy and comfortable working on the engine?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry, my computer crashed and finally found you.
Yes I can be handy if need be,
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 6 months ago.
If you want I can give you a procedure to check for any trouble codes. It is a little involved but not too bad. Are you familiar with the sensors on the engine, particularly the TPI, throttle position indicator?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm familair with the optical sensor and the temp sensor, if that helps?
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 6 months ago.
Your engine is a FICHT engine. It does not have an optical ignition system. It is a battery operated EMM ignition and fuel injected system.To retrieve the engine's fault codes do the following EXACTLY as I lay out.Remove the engine cover.Remove the Throttle Position Sensor, TPS, from the flywheel cover, two screws.Move the TPS to the full throttle position. Put a rubber band on the TPS to hold it in position.Turn the ignition key to ON.Wait 10 to 15 seconds.The check engine light will begin to flash. It will be a 2 number code such as 25 would be flash, flash, pause then 5 flashes. Then repeats. Write down all the codes.Once you have all the codes post back what you have.We'll go from there.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok, its going to be raining all day here in Philly, I will do this tomorrow
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 6 months ago.
That would be fine