Kenny O.
Kenny O., Personal Watercraft Specialist, Kawasaki Jet Ski, Yamaha Wave Runners, Sea Doo Watercraft
Experience:  Product Specialist Kawasaki Factory Support 24 Years, 8 years National Technical Director IJSBA

Pearl, this is a PWC question. i have a 2007 Yahama VX

Customer Question

Hello Pearl, this is a PWC question. i have a 2007 Yahama VX Delux craft with only 160 hours on it. It is burning a very large amount of oil. Like 2 quarts in a couple hours. The performance seems reasonable , about 46 mph, but am not sure what that should be. Machine blows smoke briefly at start up then dissipates. i assume this is a big problem but i am just getting your opinion before i take it to a Mech.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: you can smell the oil when following the ski
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 6 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** on the amount of oil that the engine is going through my initial thoughts are that you have a piston ring issue. Now this can be aggravated from maybe at some point you got moisture in the cylinders and it might have sat with moisture in the cylinders and then when it was started after that the piston rings will take a big hit as wear goes, the rust will aggressively wear the piston rings and pistons. Sometimes moisture will travel back up the exhaust especially when the unit is removed from the water and the exhaust doesn't get properly blown out after use. What happens is if water is left in the exhaust after riding an then you have a couple of cylinders with the exhaust valves open the moisture can travel back to the engine and into the cylinders.Generally again as the amount of oil you are going through in a short period of time tells me rings, not so much valve guide seals, as the tend to generally not dictate that kind of consumption, but if the engine is torn down for other issues you would go ahead and replace those also.So the first thing that needs to get performed before the engine is to be determined there is a problem, you need to have a compression measurement performed, this will give you a baseline and also if not in spec then you will need to proceed next to a leakdown test, a leakdown test will tell you the amount of leakage going past your piston rings which would indicate that you a ring issue to a specific cylinder, a problem with a cylinder, or excessive leak past the valves, this is a MUST if an engine is to be torn down, instead of going into an engine with a blind fold on, it will actually tell where to look, much more professional diagnostic procedure. Now lets just say for argumentative sake that the pistons rings are stuck, you can try using an additive made by Chrevon called Techron, Yamaha actually markets the same product under there name, this additive actually works freeing up stuck rings, now depending on how stuck they are it might not have an effect, it would take running a couple bottles through a tank full, its something you might try, if you choose to peruse that route then I would get a compression measurement before and then after you run the Techron, then check the compression again, this will give you an idea if it did anything, if not then you'll need to go with a leakdown test, your technician will know what that it and should have the equipment to perform that test.Let me know if you have any further questions, or need something clarifiedThanksKenny