Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I am looking at a Rinker 1989 17.5ft bowrider, 135hp

Customer Question

I am looking at a Rinker 1989 17.5ft bowrider, 135hp Mercruiser i/o. The skeg is broken off @ 2 in. up & the anode/rudder is broken in half. They have a 14.5in 4 blade prop on it? That seems to be a large prop for a small boat. What is "stock" for that boat? What should a rebuilt Alpha I lower unit cost? Could there be more damage to the main driveline? If I buy it, I would swap out the lower unit to avoid issues in the future. The rest of the boat is in great condition. Needs a buff & wax & some TLC. Your thoughts please? I don't do e-mail. You can answer me back here or call me. If you don't catch me, please leave a message and I will get right back to you. THANK YOU !! Joe XXXXXX
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 7 months ago.
Hi Joe, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. There is no such thing as a "Stock" propeller. Any boat can use a variety of different propeller options to give it different performance charectoristics. If the skeg is broken there is a good chance the prop shaft is bent as well. If it needs a new prop shaft installed that is roughly a 500$ job. If it needs more work than that, you would be better off buying an aftermarket replacement lower unit. You can buy a whole lower unit brand new for 745. Click this link below, this is where you get them. http://www.sterndrive.cc/Mercruiser-Alpha-One-Gen-I-Lower-Only.html I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.Thank youJason