Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

1994 2655 bayliner anchor stoped working

Customer Question

Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 7 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** will assist you.What make and model is the windless on your boat?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Charles it,s a
Muir horizontal windless can't see a model no. but it,s a manual freefall 6mm chain.
When I inspected the anchor, the chain had come out of the locker and gone over the wires pulling them tightly.
I have untangled it and it doesn't appear to have damaged any of the wires or connections.
I have also traced under the dash from the anchor switch, the red wire that goes to the fuse is fine and so is the fuse.I hope this helps Regards Dave
Expert:  Charles replied 7 months ago.
Do you know when this winch was installed on the boat?Is the rope 12mm?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
hi charles sorry about the delay only had the boat 6 months i manage to get on to the previous owner it,s the original windless fitted when the boat was built 1994, with 50m of chain no rope. I beleave 6mm chain go's with 12 rope and 8mm chain go's with 14mm rope from my research regards Dave.
Expert:  Charles replied 7 months ago.
Dave, does this installation use the solenoid switching unit or separate solenoids? They will be located in the red wire going from the switch to the windless.with the clutch engaged, do you hear any clicking or the motor running when you press the up button?Can you test the voltage going into and out of the fuse and the voltage that is going from the switch to the windless when the up button is depressed?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Charles it is a solenoid switching unit and it does make a clicking sound.I'll have to get a circuit tester but not able to get down to the boat today. I'll have to get back to you on that
Expert:  Charles replied 7 months ago.
When you get the tester, locate the large red and black wires that are at the motor. Have an assistant press the anchor switch up, test between the red and the black wires to see if you are getting 12V DC there.