Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 2003 Yamaha XLT 1200 Jetske I can ride hour

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Yamaha XLT 1200 Jetske I can ride for an hour and a half or so then I have a warning pop up and say exhaust what could be wrong
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: That's all I know except for when that comes on I shut it off until it quits beeping and the warning light comes off then I started back up then it comes back on in about 45 minutes later
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 7 months ago.
Hi and thank you for your question.If you are seeing the warning EXHST it means the sensor for the catalytic converter is not coming up to temp. Usually this indicates the cat has failed. If you are not seeing the EXHST but seeing something indicating overheat, that is a cooling water flow problem. If you are seeing a warning about the exhaust, you will need to check that out. The quickest easiest thing to do is remove the cat sensor from the pipe. It is right in the middle of the plastic cover at the top. Remove the sensor and see if the probe that lives inside the pipe is bent. It should be straight but if the cat is coming apart, this is a quick indicator something has hit it and bent it. If it is bent, then you will need to take the pipe apart and either replace the cat ($$$$$) or install a cat eliminator, also known as a D plate. If the sensor is perfectly straight out of the sensor, check to make sure it is securely plugged in to the electric box. If it is, the sensor is failing and will need to be replaced. You can either replace the stock sensor or get an after market "chip" that plugs into the electric box to by pass the sensor.If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.Thanks,RSRBOB