Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

Installd new battery in my boat. No power anywhere. Mercrusier

Customer Question

Installd new battery in my boat. No power anywhere. Mercrusier 4. 3. Dash has a clock with second hand, its not working either, so no power to dash.
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: Cant tell if reset on circuit breaker is in or out, but it will not push in. Never had these issues before
JA: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: Nope
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** will assist you.Could you provide a pic of the battery set up so that I may see it?http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Negative lead has one wired going to the block. Positive goes to starter cylinoide and over to trim package
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.
Is that all of your wires on the battery?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
One black. Two red
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.
Ok, you seem to be missing a few. There should be at least one more red and one more black. Those would be for the boat. They are smaller in size and should be hidden around the battery, unless your boat has dual batteries.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Single battery. I have replaced battery before with no issues. I do not see any other wires near battery. Where on the battery would they connect
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.
They would connect directly to the posts. Is there a cut off switch in the boat?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
There is a RUN button on the throttle. The switch is in the on position
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.
Master power switch on the dash?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
None. If the Run button was off i should still have power to the dash
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.
Yes, but you dont have any power wires for the boat hooked up, The engine does not power the boat, the battery does. Can you feel around the battery and see if you can locate those other wires?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Searched all around the battery. If there are more wires, where do they connect, i can search backwards to the battery
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.
Is this boat new to you by chance?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No, going on 4th season. Its a 2000 Celebrity
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.
Great, which model is the boat?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
2000 celebrity millennia edition 180
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.
looking it up
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.
If your standing in the boat looking down at the engine, what side is the battery on?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Left
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.
The red wire that goes to the engine, you said that it goes to the solenoid?Are you sure that the other red goes to the trim pump?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Yes. I just checked again
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.
Will the engine trim or crank?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.
Do you have a multimeter?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sorry i do not
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.
Please verify that the red cables are on the + post and the black cable is on the - post and that all cables are tight.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
They are correct and tight
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.
You just bought this battery?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Yes and its fully charged
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.
Turn the engine key to the on position, does anything happen at all?Are you sure that you cannot post a pic here?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I was wrong on trim, it does work. Ill go turn key and see if anything comes on
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.
ok
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Nothing on dash works, no horn, no bielg pump. No radio... Nothing
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.
Did the gauges?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No gauges
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.
Alright, look all around that battery at the loomed wire bundles inside the boat. There has to be at least one set of red and black wires.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Can i continue the help request tomorrow if i cant find the fix tonight?
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.
Yes, I will be here all day. I have also sent you a phone offer to connect directly with me as you work on the boat.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I tried to send a picture but it said file was too large
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.
In that first link I sent you, there is a section where it talks about large files. You can send it to then, reference this question and they will get it to me.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I think the picture is there
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.
there are two loose black wires near the transom, where do they go?Then that smaller loomed wiring, where does it run to?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Loomed meaning in the plastic bundel? One looks like it goes to throttle. One goes to bottom of boat near drain plug. Hooks to a round small black plastic looking then right next to drain hole. Neither will pull up.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I meant transom whay is that?
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.
What is the transom?the two wires that I referring to drop down right behind the power steering cylinder.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
There are no loose wires anywhere
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.
I circled the two I needed you to look at.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
One goes upto i think the throttle. The other goes down to bottom round black thing right next to drain hole on bottom under engine
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.
Ok, there isn't another battery on the other side of the boat is there?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
NO
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.
On the post where the red goes to the engine, how many wires are there? and on the other post of the fuse?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Red post 2 wires. One to solenoid the other with fuse to trim. I feel like we are repeating over and over
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The only thing done at end of last season was remove connection from battery terminals. Put battery back in and now no power to dash and no engine crank. Brand new fully charged battery. Trim DOES WORK
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.
No I mean down on the engine. Move away from the battery.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Why was I charged $5.00, and then another $21.00. ???
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.
I am guessing that the $26 is the total for your question. that was the fee to post the question and to get it on the boat category. Did you get a chance to look at the solenoid on the starter and see how many total wires are on the large posts on it?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I was asked to pay $5.00. I was never told about additional cost. I want the 21.00 refunded
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.
I can submit your question to customer service. We may be out of touch until you get things cleared up with them.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Please submit request to refund the $21.00. I was never ask or told there was more than the $5.00 fee
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.
I have sent your question off to customer service.